Thursday 4 October 2012

Red Riding Hood - On Airdrop!

"I like this job.  I like it!" ‒ The Joker

 
Red Riding Hood cloak
There are some days when even a would-be playboy billionaire feels stretched too thin.  With October rolling in, time's ticking for my suit to be finished, and all the little sidetracks, delays, and other little messes start to creep up.  Progress is being made, but with all the slowdowns and details that need to be corrected, there's been little time to make any posts at all, not to mention my computer is still mid-reformat, which is kind of annoying.


Cloak neckline, closeup
That being said, the Red Riding Hood cloak that I had taken on as commission work has been completed and shipped as of last week, and is onroute to its new owner.  So, here are some photos for your viewing pleasure.  (I apologize that in the rush of getting it packaged and shipped, that I had not been able to secure a model to take better photos.  My hope is that my friend will be able to have some photos of her own to send back after she receives the item.)
Pulled back hood, side view
Some differences between this piece and the original movie prop:  Material selection wise, the costume makers for the movie chose a linen material, most likely for its light weight and its ability to be torn and frayed at the hem.  As I was not able to find a linen cloth with a nice red color (Fabricland has a rather limited selection... I'll exclude the expletives I feel due in that regard), we agreed to use panne velour (crushed velvet), and a cotton rope for the drawstring.  In the future I may need to source an online fabric supplier for my work, but for this item, the client and I are both happy with the velvet.

Folds, side view
Also, during tailoring we decided not to make any arm slits in the sides, as the costume makers did for the movie.  Couple of reasons for that:  Arm slits require a bit of excess slack to be sewn in from the capelet section, and being that it was cut from a circular pattern, that section is narrow enough as it is.  As well, the more seams that are cut into the fabric, sometimes with rougher use the item may get damaged quicker, so the panels were left alone.

Hood and drawstring
Overall, I'm extremely happy with the result.  More posts on the way soon!

Hem fanning

1 comment:

  1. Update (11-Oct-2012): The client has received the cloak, and is happy. She also made some constructive feedback, which will help a great deal going forward. Hopefully more photos coming soon!

    ReplyDelete